Murdo Girl…The TV tray tent

1-IMG_20160330_0006_NEW

I feel bad. Today I told Mom her teeth were yellow. She was getting on me about brushing my teeth, and I said,”Well, my teeth are whiter than yours!” I expected her to say something back, but she didn’t. Of course my teeth are whiter. Her teeth are 31 years older than mine. I couldn’t really tell her that now could I?

Then, I got the bright idea to make a tent out of a TV tray and a blanket, and sleep out in the yard. It works pretty good. You can actually use two TV trays if you have a big  enough blanket. You have to be able to stretch the blanket over the trays and pound a clothes pin in the corners, then into the ground. Don’t ever plan on sleeping two people in a one TV tray tent.

I got myself all set up, and I thought everything would be fun. It got dark kind of early. I have a flashlight, but what fun is it to lay there in your front yard under a TV tray tent all by yourself, without anybody to even talk to.

I don’t have a dog. Billy’s got a cat named Yappy, but she hides up in the attic above the garage all the time. She only comes down when she  brings her kittens to us. She’s friends with Pete Reese’s tomcat. Pete is the old man who lives next door. He has a tomcat we call Tommy. The cat got his tail partially frozen off one bad winter. I personally don’t think cats are all that much fun.

We kept one of Yappy’s kittens once and named him Tinkerbell. After he got bigger he ran off somewhere and didn’t come back for a whole year. Cats aren’t fun, but they must be smart to know how to get around like that.

You know, I’m just laying here thinking. I really don’t know Pete Reese very well. If he lets his cat’s tail get frozen off, who knows what he might do to a kid who’s laying outside under a TV tray tent.

The ground is getting hard on me. Dad never got around to planting grass, so I’m laying here on prickly weeds. What a dumb idea this was. Mom should have told me no. She’s probably still in there feeling self conscious about her yellowing teeth.

Maybe I should just go in and finish this night out in my bed. I sure hate to admit defeat. On the other hand how are you going to know if something will be fun unless you try it out? I could just say I tried it out and it wasn’t fun. It’s not like I just got scared and went in. I stayed out here quite awhile and I’m also without food and water.

Shoot, I forgot to go to the bathroom before I came out here. What if I fall asleep and have to go inside the house and go to the bathroom in the middle of the night? I’ll have to leave my TV tray tent unprotected.

I don’t have any idea how long it’s been since somebody changed the batteries in this flashlight. What if a snake crawls in here in the middle of the night and the flashlight batteries are dead? There’s nothing worse than hearing a snake that you can’t see.

I shouldn’t have asked Mom if I could make a TV tray tent and sleep in it while she was distracted about her teeth. What if she didn’t hear me right? She probably didn’t even think about the snakes and Pete Reese.

I feel sorry for Mom. What if something happens to me? She’ll spend the rest of her life blaming herself, because she started this whole chain of events when she confronted me about my teeth.

Do you know how long a person should tryout an idea like sleeping outside in a TV tray tent, without food and water, and a flashlight with unknown battery life?

I don’t think we have another flashlight so Mom can’t check on me even if she wants to. I shouldn’t be so thoughtless.

Oh no… I’m going to have to go in. I just remembered something. I forgot to brush my teeth.

14 thoughts on “Murdo Girl…The TV tray tent

1. sanjuan831 June 9, 2016 / 10:07 am

Man, now I feel unfulfilled. Made loads of tents, but never with TV trays! How smart! This one we can all identify with because we all had great kid ideas, then gave up on them with all kinds of excuses going through our minds. What a sweet ending.

• Mary Francis McNinch June 9, 2016 / 10:34 am

Pete Reese, Yappy, Tinkerbell, Tommy without a tail, Mom and her teeth, the TV tray tent…all true

2. Marilyn Iverson June 9, 2016 / 12:31 pm

Once our family went camping at Fort Randall and my dad warned us about rattle snakes. I made him sleep against the door of the tent in case one tried to crawl in in the middle of the night.

3. countrygirl57 June 9, 2016 / 12:52 pm

Love it. Lots of chuckles 😄😄😄😄😄

• Mary Francis McNinch June 10, 2016 / 9:43 pm

I have been waiting for you to comment. It’s my favorite too. I cracked myself up while writing it, but sometimes I think I’m a whole lot funnier than anyone else does.

• lifelessons June 10, 2016 / 11:20 pm

No, you’re as funny as you think you are. I just got tickled at your thoughts as you lay in your TV tray tent. You were such a weird little girl. I would have adored you as a friend!!! I kept looking for people as weird as I was but never really found them until I was an adult.. so we had to turn into kids again! I still know a few kids in their 60’s and 70’s.

• Mary Francis McNinch June 10, 2016 / 11:30 pm

I can’t wait to see you in July! We’ll be weird kids together!

• lifelessons June 10, 2016 / 11:38 pm

Ha.. I know. Did you make your campground reservations?

• Mary Francis McNinch June 10, 2016 / 11:44 pm

Yes, at American RV. Richard Hullinger owns it too. It looked nicer and had concrete RV pads. I think you and Patti, Val and I should have a big conflab at Mark’s what do you think? Is Nancy P. coming?

• lifelessons June 10, 2016 / 11:56 pm

Yes but not sure when . Patti and I are arriving on the 14th. If you are there, let’s go out to dinner? Where is American RV?
        You can always reach us at Mark’s or I imagine we’ll be at the Buffalo for dinner and talk talk talking in the bar afterwards. I’ll also send you my cell phone number but need to make sure people calling don’t have to pay rates.. My service works in Mexico or the U.S.

• Mary Francis McNinch June 11, 2016 / 12:51 am

We’ll be there on the 14th. American RV is pretty close. I watched the video and you turn left before the auditorium. We’ll figure it out. I’ll get you my cell# too. I like the steaks at the Buffalo.