Murdo Girl…The reunion, part 1

My Cousin Valerie and I flew to Rapid City on Thursday, rented a car, and headed for the 2016 Murdo All School Reunion. You’ve heard the question, “How do you eat an elephant?” The answer being, “One bite at a time.” That’s how this Murdo Girl is going to tell you about my experiences as I floated through the past few days. Did you see a pink cloud overhead? Well, that was me.

As Valerie and I drove to Murdo, we marveled at the beauty of our home state. Valerie lives in Californa, and I live in Texas. Although Val only went to school in Murdo a couple of years, she has a selective memory. Some time ago, she chose to believe she is an alumni, and attends  all of the school reunions. After all, it’s an “all school” reunion. We just went to different schools together.

Shortly after hitting town I attended the first of many functions planned to honor me. It was a very nice dinner for me and about 15 of my closest friends. After dinner, I was showered with a gift. It’s beautiful display of my life in the form of a collage made by Judy Dykstra Brown and her sister Patti Dykstra Arnari. Judy gave a thoughtful, although somewhat lengthy presentation. I would like to express my thanks. Judy is a woman of many talents.

IMG_0779-1
Judy, me, and the collage

Patti, Judy, and Jim…Judy appears to be overcome with emotion. The second pic is of my lifelong friends, Mari and Eddie Jackson.

Friday morning, I was again the center of attention. I attended an intimate breakfast where I was the recipient of more accolades. The event was only slightly marred by some Thomas guy who ate my toast when I wasn’t looking.

Me, Paul Thomas, Ralph Thomas, Jerry Elrod, Patty Dykstra Arnari, seated are Judy Dykstra Brown, and Valerie Halla

That evening, the Lindquist girls hosted a giant BBQ for me. I found out later that coincidently, it was also their Dad Dean’s 80th birthday. I think he enjoyed my party, although the cameras were flashing everywhere.

IMG_0842
Val administering the History quiz to Don Edwards. More Lindquist party pics later

I should mention that I practically raised Karen, Kim  and Tammy Lindquist. I’m sure that anyone who knows them will agree that I did a pretty darned good job. They all turned out to be amazing people and I couldn’t be prouder.

(Pictures coming)

I’m so sorry that this short post will have to end abruptly. I hear some of the Murdoites have scouted out my location. I have a coffee and luncheon to attend and I haven’t even showered yet. ( Neither has the Queen.)

050cf2c1bccb827cfaa2029d4dd27c5a
Can someone please hand me a towel?

29 thoughts on “Murdo Girl…The reunion, part 1

1. Billy Francis July 18, 2016 / 12:18 pm

Great Post! Now, the next time I get to Murdo, they will know who I am (Mary’s brother)!

2. scoper07 July 18, 2016 / 2:11 pm

It was fun being a spectator to all the accolades Murdo Girl received. She was humble of course, and ate up all the limelight in style.

3. lifelessons July 18, 2016 / 5:50 pm

Murdo Girl in her own humble manner neglected to say that the entire reunion was in fact staged entirely in her honor. The 100th anniversary of the town and the 5 year annual school reunion were just a ploy to get her to attend so we could all meet her. We actually had no interest in meeting each other but did chat with each other now and then as we awaited her entrances.

• Mary Francis McNinch July 21, 2016 / 3:54 pm

I can’t believe I missed seeing your comment Judy. I couldn’t have said it better myself. I adore the collage.

4. treerabold July 18, 2016 / 6:58 pm

I enjoyed your story…what a superstar you must be!
    Thanks “Lifelessons” for directing me to this page…I had no idea such a famous blogger was among us!!

• Mary Francis McNinch July 25, 2016 / 4:11 pm

I am so pleased. I must have missed your comment the other day. My head is still spinning from the reunion. I will look at your blog as well treeabold.

5. Patti July 18, 2016 / 9:51 pm

And you were so gracious to your subjects, Mary, even to the point of coming up with a less complicated way of spelling my last name. What a great time. Patti Arnieri

6. countrygirl57 July 19, 2016 / 7:18 am

Can’t wait to hear all about it 😊😀

7. sanjuan831 July 19, 2016 / 2:03 pm

Being in the Murdo parade was tops in my book! Are you going to wear your crown around Texas? I think I’ll wear mine to the grocery store.

• scoper07 July 19, 2016 / 2:15 pm

Be sure to take selfies at the store and share. It was nice meeting you.

• Mary Francis McNinch July 19, 2016 / 8:26 pm

Suzanne Brost called Bob and he told us how your name is spelled. I’m really sorry Patti. All the best to you and Jim Arnieri.

• sanjuan831 July 19, 2016 / 10:25 pm

Thanks! Fun meeting you also!

• sanjuan831 July 19, 2016 / 10:26 pm

True. Those BurgerKing crowns are great. Makes me hungry though.

8. Patti July 20, 2016 / 12:09 am

It’s not a problem, Mary–no one ever spells our last name right (too many vowels!).

• hplarsamoht July 28, 2016 / 3:01 pm

So I told Judy Dykstra I was concerned about her memory (confusing the Little White and Big White) but she said it was poetic license:

So by the time I saw the river field grown lush with corn,
      I was a teenager in my first grownup swimsuit,
      floating the milky Little White in an inner tube,
      down to its junction
      with the clear and colder-running water of the Big White,
      my best friend next to me,

Also Murdo Girl quiz question 5 Allen was a 1967 graduate (like me), question 6 Judy was a 1965 graduate, and question 35 Mike M was born in the 40’s (like me, 1967 graduate).

I think my brother ate your toast (not me, I ate his),
      Hplar Samoht

• Mary Francis McNinch July 28, 2016 / 3:53 pm

I get your drifting hp..I had already posted an addendum with quiz corrections. Yes, Your brother ate my toast. I don’t think I named you, but I could have alluded to you, sorry. I will look forward to hearing from you again HP. BTW do you have my VHS tapes? I left them somewhere.

• lifelessons July 31, 2016 / 9:12 pm

oops.. Cyberspace ate my first reply so I’ll try again. I take it that since you only brought this one stanza from the poem to take occasion to that the rest of the book was perfect? I’ll forgive you your nitpick, Ralph, because in addition, you correctly took a year off my age. That breakfast with Mary, Val, Patti and the Thomas boys was a highlight of the reunion. I always look forward to seeing the Thomas family. I missed Doris, though. She was such a cheerful and kind person. Was mention made of her death at the reunion? I could never hear the announcements, but so sad that she was killed on the way to the reunion. R.I.P., Doris, and condolences to your family.

9. Ralph Thomas July 28, 2016 / 9:49 am

“So by the time I saw the river field grown lush with corn,
    I was a teenager in my first grownup swimsuit,
    floating the milky Little White in an inner tube,
    down to its junction
    with the clear and colder-running water of the Big White,
    my best friend next to me,”

I think my brother ate your toast (not me, I ate his),
    Hplar Samoht

• lifelessons July 31, 2016 / 9:16 pm

Let me get this perfectly clear (and perfectly muddy.) The Big White was muddy and cold and the Little White clear and warm? So many combinations to consider when you can just easily give me the answer. I, by the way, got no toast at all.

• Mary Francis McNinch July 31, 2016 / 9:57 pm

No toast? I remember several toasts. I never hear from Patti anymore. Is she okay? I expected a comment about the BC of T posting.

• lifelessons July 31, 2016 / 11:05 pm

Can you send me a link to your last post? I can’t find it. I get so many WP emails and they all just have my name– not the name of who sends them, so I can’t find your latest blog entries.
        I haven’t heard from Patti either. She must be busy.

• hplarsamoht August 2, 2016 / 9:44 am

Judy,

Not sure who will get this if I respond to what might be email addresses. Or maybe it will go to the blog three times. Judy I thought you purposely said the Little White River was milky just so you could find out who was reading your poems. It was truly sad about Doris.

Hplar

• lifelessons August 2, 2016 / 10:14 am

Aha! It came up three times, so I read you strong and clear once more.

• hplarsamoht August 2, 2016 / 9:44 am

Judy,

Hplar

• lifelessons August 2, 2016 / 10:12 am

Ha.. Well, if so, either you are the only one who read it or the only who read it with river knowledge!

• hplarsamoht August 2, 2016 / 9:44 am

Judy,

Hplar

• lifelessons August 2, 2016 / 10:13 am

Actually, your message came up twice on my blog.. I read you strong and clear. I read you strong and clear.

10. Mary Francis McNinch August 2, 2016 / 10:06 am

I will make sure Judy sees it…Do you happen to remember where I might have left my Sanderson VHS tapes?