Murdo Girl…The food swap ladies

Mom thinks that I complain too much. That really isn’t true.

I’m happy with a lot of things, if you want my point of view.

She said if I was seated upon a pot of gold

It would take me just a minute to find the pot too cold.

I’ll give you one example, though I have quite a few,

I’ve always told my Mother I hate her homemade stew.

Tonight I had a bowl full, and I ate every drop.

I didn’t even tell Mom her recipe’s a flop.

She said it was Bonna’s stew, as I tried to get it down.

I said,” Well that explains it. It’s been all over town.”

7b0267c4842dee8b85b55929ef345bd1

Bonna, Kitty, Elna, and Mom make casseroles galore

They’re the food swap ladies like you’ve never seen before.

We all sit at our tables and stare at empty plates.

My brother runs the food around while everybody waits.

Will we have Mom’s beans tonight with Kitty’s southern cornbread?

Or  Elna’s tuna noodle dish that her kids have all been fed?

The food swap ladies method works , with just one small exception

One they didn’t think about upon the plan’s conception.

When Billy walks through the door with his heavy sack,

We’ve said a prayer Mom doesn’t get her own leftovers back!

Studio_20160517_164655-1

I apologize that my stories have come at odd times the last couple of days. It’s my plan to post Murdo Girl between 7 and 9 each evening, beginning Saturday. I have really enjoyed writing about my Murdo memories. I hope you’re getting a smile or two as well.

7 thoughts on “Murdo Girl…The food swap ladies

1. Sherri Miller June 10, 2016 / 6:04 pm

Many smiles when reading Murdo Girl stories. Love them all!

• Mary Francis McNinch June 10, 2016 / 6:24 pm

I love hearing from you just as much..I think my favorite is the TV tray tent story. I cracked myself while writing it. Thanks Sherri!

2. lifelessons June 10, 2016 / 9:13 pm

This is so funny. Great ending and you write a mean poem, Murdo girl!!! I think that is Elsa at the table, isn’t it?

• Mary Francis McNinch June 10, 2016 / 9:45 pm

Yes, it really is Elsa this time. This was taken at our house, maybe Harold took the photo. I would love to know what all the laughter was about.

• lifelessons June 10, 2016 / 11:18 pm

I was thinking the same thing and wondered where Harold was. He wasn’t in the pix at Harold and Elsa’s house either, so he was probably the designated picture snapper. I do have a good photo of Harold and Elsa, though, if you don’t have one. I also have a funny Harold story I’ll tell you at the reunion. But you are younger, so you have to be the one to remember to remind me. Better make a list!

3. Marilyn Iverson June 11, 2016 / 6:28 pm

Your stories can come anytime. We love them. My prayer for you is that Billy doesnt show up at the reunion!!!

• Marilyn Iverson June 11, 2016 / 6:39 pm

Didnt mean Billy. Meant Philip!!!!