Murdo Girl…She needs a little help from her friends

I have two favors to ask of you Murdo Girl readers. The first is a request from Judy Dykstra Brown. If you aren’t already following her blog, you should. I’m trying to learn from her. She is compiling a list of words people dislike intensely and should not be a part of the English language. I gave her amazing. I think it is an amazingly overused word. You can post a comment on facebook, or on the blog. You can also post it on Judy’s blog, Lifelessons.  http://judydykstrabrown.com/

For my second request, I wrote a poem, and for a special treat, I have included another poem I received from a good friend.

**********************************************************

wp-image-89585808jpg.jpg
Yram, Treason, Carol, Jerry

I Collect Them. Yes I do.

Want to know what I’m collecting? It’s something you’ll be least expecting.

My interest started months ago. Then just began to grow and grow.

Now I see them everywhere. I don’t just look at them. I stare.

I take pictures now and then. Wish I remembered where and when.

Through the window I can see, but I can’t take them home with me.

I’ll soon pursue my fascination, because I’m going on vacation.

I’ll find them everywhere I know. I’ll have lots of them to show.

Yes, they might have a ding or dent, but they won’t cost me one red cent.

I know you’ll think I am strange. It’s too late for me to change.

Most collections collect dust. Keep collecting if you must.

You’ll pass the dust on to your daughter? That explanation won’t hold water.

My collection will not break. If it did I’d have a lake.

I could look for hours and hours at my majestic water towers.

If a water tower you should see. Would you snap a pic for me?

If you’re sweet and send me some. Please let me know where they are from.

1-wt-003

***********

I Have a Friend

I have a friend from years gone by,

Who reached out by phone just to say Hi,

How have you been she wanted to know,

I’m great and my family continues to grow,
Grandchildren arrive and bring such bliss,
But it’s old classmates I do miss,
She is fine she told me so,
But it is home she likes to go,
She travels there in her mind she does see,
And writes it in her blog for you and me,
We laugh we cry and everything in between,
Each one of us in her writings have seen,
A bit of ourselves and our lives of past,
But most of us know it’s true as cast,
We laugh at ourselves as she does too.
O’er things we’ve done or seen others do,
Thank you dear friend for telling your lore,
And making us love you all the more.
Thanks Dear Friend . I love it!

14 thoughts on “Murdo Girl…She needs a little help from her friends

1. jeanrmtx1 October 3, 2016 / 4:54 pm

I loved your poetry! There won’t be too many water towers from me as I don’t travel that far much, but what a wonderful idea. Your “friend” was poignant and sweet.

Thanks for sharing your talent. I must check Judy D. Brown out. Jean

• Mary Francis McNinch October 3, 2016 / 5:12 pm

Thanks Jean. I love that you’re reading Murdo Girl. Please do check out Judy’s blog. She is the real deal and also from Murdo.

2. lifelessons October 3, 2016 / 5:01 pm

Mary, who is the queen to the right who has an arrow through her head? She looks exactly like a friend of mine. I need to search. Sure I must have some water towers, but I will also look in the future. Enjoyed your poem, especially, “You’ll pass the dust on to your daughter? That explanation won’t hold water.” Ha. Thanks for passing on my challenge.. Just about have enough for a poem, but a strange poem it will be, and it will offend everyone!

• lifelessons October 3, 2016 / 7:06 pm

I knew her. Was in 4h with her..and they lived on Dad’s farm across from the cemetery. Is that an old photo of her or a contemporary one? Tell her I said hi. Trying to remember the name of her high school boyfriend.. Salazar, I think. They must not have married.

• Mary Francis McNinch October 3, 2016 / 7:13 pm

I’ll tell Carol you said hi. It is a pretty recent picture, but I have seen better ones of her since then.

3. sanjuan831 October 3, 2016 / 6:10 pm

Great poetry! Thanks!

4. scoper07 October 3, 2016 / 6:45 pm

Nice poetry and request Murdo Girl. You are going to have a great collection. I’ll keep you in mind for sure and try to help with your collection. Enjoy your vacation too!!! Nice post again.

5. Mom Banks aka Carol Callihan Fairbanks October 3, 2016 / 8:46 pm

Judy, aka Lifelesson: Hi there! Been a few years, hasn’t it? John Salazar wasn’t in my life until summer before my first year teaching in Murdo. We had five kids and divorced in 1982. I married Ken Fairbanks in 1985 and we have a son together, so our blended family is 9 kids! How about you? Where are you now?

• lifelessons October 5, 2016 / 12:10 am

Hi Carol. I didn’t know you taught in Murdo! I married a man who had already had 10 children, so you see he beat you. Only 4 of them were small when we married and two of them lived with us and they all came to visit at various times. He passed away the year we bought a house in Mexico, 15 years ago. So, I moved to Mexico alone and I’ve been here ever since. Where are you? Did john have a sister? Was it Connie Salazar? Things coming back. Funny what we forget. Good to hear news of you.