Murdo Girl…Tips on hiking with someone who has recently had back surgery

As most of you know, Kip had major back surgery in June. He wants to hike this morning, so I’ve decided to humor him by agreeing to accompany him on what should be a short walk.

TIPS 1-6

1) Let the patient take the lead. That way, they will automatically set the pace they are comfortable with..you would probably go at a much faster pace.

Good a nice little walk. Oh, there’s stairs. Okay..See, I’m staying a little behind on purpose.

Slow down a bit Sammie and Pattie..You shouldn’t strain on your leashes. Oh shoot, “KIP, I HAVE TO TIE MY SHOE!” See he needed a break.

2) Always wear shoes with laces

“I see you! I just stopped to take a picture of this pretty plant.”

3) Always be the designated picture taker.

wp-image-1277698553jpg.jpgwp-image-325361237jpg.jpgwp-image-1952968223jpg.jpg

” I think I heard a snake. Are there snakes up there? Did you see that cave? Pumas hide in caves.

wp-image-1886519557jpg.jpg
Puma Cave

4) Be sure and stay back far enough in case a Puma flies out of a cave. That way he can’t get both of you, and I can run for help.

wp-image-710310074jpg.jpgwp-image-114341894jpg.jpgwp-image-1952968223jpg.jpg

I’m pretty sure that’s a mirage. I’m really thirsty. Maybe it’s the Blue Lagoon.

“I’ll just wait here until you turn around! My knee is really bothering me…and my allergies are too. I have a headache!”

I accidentally let go of Sammie and Pattie’s leashes. Oh well, they like to run free.

5) Don’t be too hard on yourself. Everybody has an injury flare up. Just look at poor Kip. He just had major back surgery. I can’t see him. I hope he’s okay.

“What are you looking at me for? I typed on your blog for a while, then I took a little cat nap.”

6) Just keep telling yourself. “The cat is fat! The cat is fat.”

We’re having pork chops. Murdo Girl is resting

13 thoughts on “Murdo Girl…Tips on hiking with someone who has recently had back surgery

1. sanjuan831 November 6, 2016 / 9:16 pm

Those are six very important tips for people who have hiked or will be hiking with someone who has had serious back surgery. I am so proud of you for taking it easy on Kip and allowing him to feel like he was setting the pace. Also humorous and clever the way you pretended to be tired and sweaty. Get your rest now.

2. Mari Jackson November 6, 2016 / 9:35 pm

What an excellent companion you are! Happy Trails to you and Kip, until we meet again!

3. scoper07 November 6, 2016 / 10:16 pm

Good for you for taking it easy on Kip. Humorous way of telling your story. Makes it a joy to read. Thank you.

• scoper07 November 7, 2016 / 5:55 am

I would say to take it easy on him for the rest of the vacation trip. The body takes a long time to heal at this stage in our lives. You can enjoy the vacation and think about Zumba for another day.

• scoper07 November 7, 2016 / 10:07 am

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

• sanjuan831 November 7, 2016 / 10:02 am

Zumba, yes, because you could use the loose shoelace trick er…. timeout during that also!

• Mary Francis McNinch November 7, 2016 / 2:40 pm

Okay good. I seem to have a heck of a time with shoelaces, and I wouldn’t want to trip while running from a Puma..er for help.

4. sanjuan831 November 6, 2016 / 10:25 pm

Hey, this could lead to a whole new series of chapters! 6 tips on breaking camp, 6 tips on selfies, tips on setting up camp with 3 dogs and a short cat & on and on.

• Mary Francis McNinch November 6, 2016 / 11:57 pm

You are right Cuz! I’m really full of tips. Tips are my thing. 6 is a good number. More than 1, but less than 10, but still more than half way to 10. Perfect!