Murdo Girl…Christmas Cranky

I have been so busy putting the story, “Our Magic Christmas Eve” together, I have seriously neglected other things. By the way, several people said they had trouble finding it, because it was posted with a date several days before; therefore it didn’t show up as the most recent story. If you have not read it or can’t find it, here is the link.

In some ways, it was the most difficult to write, but in another way, it basically wrote itself. I am happy with the way it turned out.

wp-image-587920394jpg.jpg
Jerome says thanks Sherri

On to today’s topic. I have noticed a little bit of crankiness happening around me. I’ll give a few examples. I won’t mention names, but I want to make something very clear. Kip does a lot around here..much more than I do.

I am very easily distracted. I start things and an hour, or a day, or a week later, I find a can of furniture polish sitting in the middle of a dusty object and the dust rag in the bathroom. I can never find anything, therefore I can’t tell others where the scissors or anything else is for sure.

1-images-1
My next T shirt purchase

Kip is not that way. He has everything of his referenced and cross referenced and everything has a “specific” place to be. When the kids were all home, one of them made the comment that if you wreck your car, Kip handles it really well, but if you don’t put one of his tools back where it belongs, you will most likely get yelled at AND be grounded for a week.

Valerie wants to direct her rap. This is how she wants us to sound.Thanks Val. Are you snoring at the end?

The other day, Kip said he couldn’t decide if he liked the vacuum cleaner over by the fireplace best, or if it looked better in the hallway. The attachments were also in various places throughout the house. He didn’t sound cranky, but he was looking at me with a cranky face. He told me several times yesterday he was about to run out of clean clothes, so he guessed he was going to do some laundry today. He would get right on it after all the other chores he had to do.

Lately, around five, I’ve been asking him what he wants for dinner. He just looks at me and shakes his head. I know what he’s thinking. I can read his face. He’s thinking, “You say that like you intend to cook something.”

wp-1481994755926.jpg

A good friend of mine said her husband really wants a new gun for Christmas. He loves to deer hunt, but it’s been awhile since he actually bagged a deer. My friend figures it costs him around $90.00 a day for him to hunt when you consider gas, and other things. She said, “I have a better idea, let’s go buy $90.00 worth of meat. You can even shoot at it if you want to.” (Christmas Cranky?)

They have a deer head mounted above the fireplace. I said, “Well, it looks like he’s had a little success.” She said the deer head came with the house. I guess the previous occupants were over it. The non-hunter won out. I wonder what it costs to taxidermy a deer? During Christmas, my friend hangs Christmas earrings and a camo Santa hat on him. He looks pretty cute, but who needs more than one. It’s not like it is with Queens and their crowns.

wp-image-687733793jpg.jpg

We have a pretty large family, so we can’t spend huge amounts on each individual for Christmas. We went on a “run and get it done” shopping excursion the other day. We had to make quick decisions about what to buy everyone. I was happy with our purchases, but when I went to send our Wyoming son’s family their gifts, it ended up costing a whopping $50.00. I’m not going to say how much we spent on the gifts, but the ratio didn’t make much sense. You can buy a pretty nice gift for $50.00. We really didn’t think that one through when we purchased rather large items. It will be gift cards next year for the out of towners. (Christmas Cranky?) for sure..not Kip this time. I was the one who had to breath into a bag.

wp-1481993277996.jpg

You can probably guess what I keep thinking. Mom would say, “This too shall pass,” right after she got really (Christmas Cranky).

********************************

I just want to say thank you to Sherri Miller and Pat Davis for my new crowns. They are very special to me. I will be wearing one every day until after my 12/31 birthday. I think I act better with a crown on. Don’t you agree Lav and Queen E… Queen E!! Turn around please. (Christmas Cranky?)

wp-1480902003273.jpgwp-image-276241804jpg.jpg1-1-IMG_3629a40ea3aa022070ad2a6fffd1e3867321

20 thoughts on “Murdo Girl…Christmas Cranky

1. sanjuan831 December 17, 2016 / 4:26 pm

Love your many hats and crowns. Yes– me snoring ar the endif rap.

• Mary Francis McNinch December 17, 2016 / 4:31 pm

It works for me..I hope I can make it that far. BTW. You are a bigger hit as a rapper. Your Mom’s birthday story was a hit too. You must have a lot of friends..or maybe Caitlin..loved your Christmas card cuz 😪😫

• sanjuan831 December 17, 2016 / 4:55 pm

Glad you liked the Christmas card, cuz! So happy Mom’S birthday story was a hit! She was the only Sanderson who married a non-South Dakotan.My kids loved it! Caitlin cried so much reading it to Omid. I have lots of friends and so does Caitlin. So do Matt and Morgan. Ken has two friends.Ha! I am NOT a great rapper, but thanks for complement….hint: when you rap, sound angry and repeat, “Watch me now…” a lot! I wondered what being witchy at Christmas was called and now I learned from you – Christmas cranky!

2. sanjuan831 December 17, 2016 / 6:04 pm

Uncle Bob went to School of Mines and forget where in SD he was born. Got the job in Michigan right out of college.

3. scoper07 December 17, 2016 / 9:13 pm

I know what you mean about getting distracted Murd

• scoper07 December 17, 2016 / 10:09 pm

Oh sorry. It’s 3 degF outside right now. My brain is frozen. Good blog tonight. We all get a little cranky at

• scoper07 December 17, 2016 / 11:00 pm

Solid advice MG. Maybe I won’t be so cranky…or cold!

4. sanjuan831 December 18, 2016 / 10:21 am

1. What does it say on that blue shirt with red and white stripes that you’re wearing in pics.?
    2. Is that a fake poinsettia? 3. What’s for dinner?

• scoper07 December 18, 2016 / 11:10 am

All excellent questions Lav. America does want to know Murdo Girl!

• Mary Francis McNinch December 18, 2016 / 12:28 pm

I had to dig the shirt out of the dirty clothes it has a pic of Rudolph and says, “The brightest of them all.” 2) The poinsettia is real fake. 3) I don’t know about dinner, it’s not 5 o’clock yet.👸

• scoper07 December 18, 2016 / 12:39 pm

Thanks. Now America knows. According to Jimmy Buffet it’s always 5:00 somewhere. 🕔🎅

• Mary Francis McNinch December 18, 2016 / 12:29 pm

I had to dig the shirt out of the dirty clothes. It has a picture of Rudolph and says, “The brightest of them all.” 2) yes the poinsettia is fake 3) I don’t know about dinner, it’s not 5 o’clock yet.

5. lifelessons December 18, 2016 / 12:43 pm

This is delightful. I love your commentaries on your everyday life! You need not fear running out of Murdo material. You can always switch to the here and now. Still very readable! Merry Xmas.. Now going to read the Xmas story. Was afraid I wouldn’t be able to find this one again.

6. Bobby of Michigan December 18, 2016 / 3:06 pm

Dad was born between McLoughlin and MacIntosh SD-in the sticks. He said he hatched out on a fence post to be more exact. It is within confines of Standing Rock Res. He grew up in Sioux Falls but graduated high school in Lead. So Uncle Al was the “far out” exception-in many loving ways.

• Mary Francis McNinch December 18, 2016 / 3:46 pm

I didn’t know any of that. Did you have other family in SD besides the Sandersons?

7. Bobby of Michigan December 18, 2016 / 4:16 pm

Many in Centerville/Vermillion area-great aunts and great uncles-Dad’s siblings left the state in the early 1940s – early 50s. The last to leave was Dad’s oldest brother Roy in Deadwood 1952. That’s why SD -esp Murdo of course-has always been so precious to our family. When I was young, Uncle Roy ran a dry cleaner shop in what is now a portion of Blake and Melanie’s Martin Mason Hotel in Deadwood.

• Mary Francis McNinch December 18, 2016 / 8:39 pm

What a piece of family history to add to the Martin Mason Hotel story. You all really do have strong ties to Deadwood and the surrounding area.