Murdo Girl…the road trip..will I ever get to Murdo?

We’re afraid to make plans. When we bought the motor home, everyone we knew who had an RV, told us to be ready for everything, but don’t count on anything. If you decided on the camping life to save money on restaurants and hotels, you are doing it for the wrong reasons. If you are unable or unwilling to be flexible, maybe a cruise would be a better option.

Kip and I listened to all of this, and I’m glad we did. At least we went into it with our eyes wide open.

This is our third, long RV trip, and being sidelined this week was our biggest hiccup so far. I’m proud to say, we have handled it pretty well. Considering we are traveling with all of our animals, it’s been rather remarkable. The cat is the only one who is displaying crankiness. We watched her tonight and had to laugh at her antics. She was laying in wait for a dog to walk past her so she could bat them with her paw. They didn’t know they were supposed to be her punching bag, so she finally ran and jumped on Pattie, who was the closest to her and whacked her a couple of times. It dawned on me that she is like the spoiled little sister in the family. The one who is allowed to act how ever she wants to because the word no just upsets her and nobody wants to deal with the fit that will follow.

Pattie looked at me with resignation. She knew it was easier to let the cat be mean than to do something that would irritate her even more.

Tomorrow we will have been residing in room 161 of the Motel 6 for a week. Sometimes it’s better not to know the outcome of certain situations. It’s best just to deal with each day as it comes and hope for the best. Stay in denial as long as possible.

If we hadn’t been stuck here. I never would have found these cool rain boots!

Since we haven’t told any Murdo family we’re coming, we will only stop to say hello to those we can catch. I plan to drive Kip by the places he hears me talk about all the time. Billy said I have to take him to the Pioneer Auto Museum and he has to have a steak at the Buffalo Bar. We will drive the parade route which will take him by the Mack’s Cafe building, and the Harold Thune Auditorium. We will go to the cemetary, and see everything south of old Highway 16. Can you think of anything else? Maybe we can have a cup of coffee at the truck stop and someone I know will be there.

After Murdo, we will be heading East. We’ll be going places I have never been and seeing good friends along the way. We really do love the RV life. We just didn’t know the Motel 6 was going to be such a big part of the experience.

I know this isn’t much of a blog, but at least it’s short. I was on the verge of making plans and that’s never a good idea for seasoned campers like us.

13 thoughts on “Murdo Girl…the road trip..will I ever get to Murdo?

1. lifelessons August 24, 2017 / 11:54 pm

Wow. That’s a big rig!!! Maybe go down to see the White River? Have you seen Johannsen”s Dam lately? Is it still there?

• Mary Francis McNinch August 26, 2017 / 7:49 pm

Yes…it’s still there. I saw a recent picture. We’re going to play it by ear. It messed us up some, because we didn’t get there for the week-end.

2. DIanna Kenobbie Diehm August 25, 2017 / 1:46 am

And don’t forget to wave at Kodak Kadoka as you go by!

3. countrygirl57 August 25, 2017 / 9:09 am

I love Dollie. Typical cat antics. Poor Patty!! Hope all goes well today. Hugs 🤗

• Mary Francis McNinch August 25, 2017 / 9:17 am

Thanks countrgirl…I will keep you posted. Hope you are doing well and your vertigo has gone away. Is it allergy related?

• lifelessons August 26, 2017 / 8:21 pm

Ha. Just this minute finished watched “Vertigo!” A rather implausible plot..But appropriate in terms of this last statement.

4. sanjuan831 August 25, 2017 / 10:02 am

Every part of your adventure has been fun, even Motel 6. Bill had some good ideas on places to visit in Murdo, and Judy. I’d see if the Frosty place still has rhubarb milkshakes, but the people there are the best. Did you bring your green banner? That would attract some attention.

• lifelessons August 26, 2017 / 8:23 pm

Val, “Vertigo,” the old Hitchcock movie I just watched, was set in San Juan Batista. Have you seen it? It is available online…

• sanjuan831 August 26, 2017 / 11:37 pm

Yes, that is a great old movie but Hitchcock added a tower to our old San Juan Bautista mission that isn’t really on it. The Mission is still an active Catholic Church. Had extensive repairs after 1906 earthquake. Our local coffee shop is called Vertigo! Hope all is well in Mexico! We have two friends there. One in Ajiijic and the other lives in Huasqilco. (Not spelling these correctly!)

• lifelessons August 27, 2017 / 8:34 am

An interesting bit of trivia that should be added to the IMDB page for the movie.

5. sanjuan831 August 27, 2017 / 9:06 am

Teacher friend in Ajiijic is Hallie Shepherd and her brother is Phil. She runs sound system for little theater their now and then.