Murdo Girl…the road trip..keeping the daydream

Thursday

What a day! Calvin the mechanic was there at 8:00 am with the part SeeYa needed and had her all fixed up in about an hour. I called Calvin, Steve in yesterday’s blog. His name is Calvin and he works for Steve. He is really a nice guy and knows his stuff!

I took the dogs (separately) for long walks this morning while Kip and Calvin worked on SeeYa. It was a gorgeous morning in Mississippi.

(We had a good spot at the KOA in Toomsuba, MS.)

We packed up and boogied around noon and made it to McComb, MS. I was rv park finder challenged again. I called places all afternoon, but it appeared that I wasn’t going to be able to make it happen. It wasn’t that they were full, but they were either too far out, or didn’t have full service spots.

We stopped at a park that sounded pretty nice, but turned out to be no good. It was the second time in a week this happened. I did take this picture of an old train they had sitting at the entrance. I tried to make it look nostalgic. It was a “through the window” drive-by pic.

Another shot w/o the effects. It makes me want to know it’s story.

We went on to McComb and finally found a spot in the Quin State Park. It’s beautiful and we can’t believe it’s only $14.00 a night for a full service space. At that rate, we may stay another night and go to see the Camp Van Dorn World War II Museum. Besides, we didn’t get settled in here until 8:00 pm last night. It’s no fun setting up when it’s dark and we’re weary…

Sammie: Yeah…I’m weary too. Are you weary Pattie?

Pattie: Yeah, Sammie…I’m wearier. What does weary mean, Sammie?

Sammie: I’m not sure, but I think it involves bones, so I’m all for it!

Pattie: Me too, Sammie. I’m more ‘all for it.’

I’m weary too. I never have room for my head.

Friday morning

I’m sitting in my favorite spot… sipping on a cup of coffee. It’s quiet except for the sound of the birds singing.

We are going to leave here tomorrow and head to Natches, MS. We want to drive up the scenic Natchez Trace Parkway which will take us to Vicksburg. It will all take a couple of days, but after that, the next sight we’ll see is going to be home.

A trip like this might seem extravagant or even foolish to some, but we plan to take one long road trip a year for as long as we’re able. We prepared for this by selling our big house and buying a much smaller one so we could afford to purchase SeeYa who is now sweet sixteen. Like most people, we worked hard for many years. Sometimes retirement age seemed a long way off. Sadly, we often wished we could get older faster. Kip commuted eighty miles one way for the last several years before he could retire. He counted how many more miles he had to drive rather than birthdays.

Like all families, we have our crosses to bear/bare, but time on the road renews our spirit. It strengthens our appreciation of life and the beauty in this world God created for us.

We are grateful that for a couple of months each year, we can live our dream.

*********

Below is what is sure to be an award winning photograph that will eventually make me millions. I took it quite by accident. I think the camera was in selfie mode, and when I took the picture through the window, I got this reflection which I know must be one of a kind…pure art!

13 thoughts on “Murdo Girl…the road trip..keeping the daydream

1. countrygirl57 September 30, 2017 / 9:38 am

Love the story. Love the pictures. Love that you have had a fabulous trip. But most of all, I love that we are friends. Miss you! 😢❤️😢❤️😢❤️❤️

• Mary Francis McNinch September 30, 2017 / 10:13 am

You touch my heart and you are such a good friend because you know how to be. Love you bestie!

2. sanjuan831 September 30, 2017 / 10:06 am

Glad Steve and Calvin were pros! That black and white photo of Cyndie is artsy. Keep on walking those dogs! Great exercise. You look adorable, MG.
    I so identified with what you said about saving and retirement. Just the way I feel. Retirement is better than I had expected….35 years of teaching was enough! This is the life. Glad you’re going on a major long trip every year. Future trip idea: Canada is awesomely scenic.

• Mary Francis McNinch September 30, 2017 / 10:11 am

I would love to go to Canada. Next year, we’re going to see more of the eastern states. I’ve never been to DC.

• sanjuan831 October 1, 2017 / 8:53 am

Washington,DC is a must go place! Humbling and wonderful to see it all.
        Took our kids when they were young.

3. scoper07 October 1, 2017 / 8:19 am

You will enjoy Vicksburg. The battleground is awesome! I cannot imagine Americans shooting at Americans :-(. The memorials are nice especially the Illinois one. Great blog you artist you!

• Mary Francis McNinch October 1, 2017 / 7:09 pm

We’re here. Did you take the driving tour 07? We are thinking of taking the dogs and doing the cell phone tour. Someone said it takes about five hours.

• scoper07 October 1, 2017 / 7:35 pm

We drove ourselves through and stopped at various points. It is a long route. The memorials range from a simple sign to a large structure. I can’t imagine being in those hills in wool clothing in the summer. It must have been miserable living conditions. You and Kip can handle walking a long ways so that might be nice if the weather permits. Hope you enjoy it. I thought it was surreal.

4. scoper07 October 1, 2017 / 11:06 am

My daughter was in awe of the pile of shoes.

5. sanjuan831 October 1, 2017 / 5:42 pm

Going to Germany but couldn’t take seeing that.