Murdo Girl…Murdo memories..new and old

Kip and I, along with the pets, are RVing in Galveston with friends for a few days. We’re having a great time relaxing and eating. What could be more fun? It really has me looking forward to our longer vacation in the fall.

wp-image-3615824908115026871jpg.jpg

Cyndie is having a wonderful time chasing seagulls. Too bad she can’t run free.

Ron and Barbara’s, son, grandkids and friends with kids  are are having fun at the beach. It was a great day!

I’m attaching another Murdo memory rerun. I hope it’s one you like!

******************,****************

I wonder if anyone has ever written a poem or a song about my hometown. I wonder if I could write one. I wonder if I should write one. Okay I’ll try. Keep in mind, the baseline of my life was growing up there in the 50’s and 60’s. I love that town as much as ever.

63c19100541569bb8d09ebcb25cd6d2b

So we’re back in Murdo Papa John. Does Queen Murdo Girl Have a sign yet?

MURDO

By Mary Francis McNinch aka Murdo Girl

I’ve been sitting here for five long minutes, wondering how I should begin this.

Now I’ve written four short lines and nothing that I’ve written rhymes.

I guess it’s close enough for me. Until I have an epiphany.

wp-1485666040701.jpg

I’ve got my crown on. I’m good to go, and I know the words will begin to flow.

Why oh why is my brain so slow. Nothing much rhymes with Murdo.

I think I’ve thought of a better way. I’ll start by describing Mack’s Cafe.

Macks Cafe

facebook_1485658517345
Linda Kerns..inside Mack’s Cafe 1969

Breakfast, dinner, supper, snacks…The food was always good at Mack’s.

Doris  made yummy cinnamon rolls..served ham and beans in great big bowls.

Hot beef sandwiches were a favorite. Don’t eat too fast, you must savor it.

I ate so much my stomach hurt, but I always had room for a big dessert.

Sanderson’s Store is on Main Street, and everyone there is really neat.

wp-1485722096514.jpg

If you’ve read all I’ve written about. You know this store inside and out.

Groceries, produce, they’ve got it all, and mounted deer heads on the wall

IMG_20160405_0002_NEW

Grandpa Sanderson after a successful hunt

Uncle Jeff, Uncle Al and Great Aunt Tet..Just a second I’m not done yet.

Billy, Jeff H. and Eldon Davis, thanks for the good service you all gave us.

The post office, Ford garage, Mr. Kell…Laundromat, Gambles, and the Gem Hotel.

The Murdo Coyote keeps us in the know, even 25 and 50 years ago.

Maybe they know what rhymes with Murdo.

If the Ford Garage sells you a car, and you celebrate at the Buffalo Bar.

The Hotel owned by Alice Tornow is the place you probably aught to go.

Still nothing rhymes with Murdo.

My dog Berferd got to go, uptown to the picture show.

He was as quiet as he could be, (unless a dog barked in the movie).

If you want to change the way you’re livin, or maybe you need to be forgiven.

We’ve got churches everywhere, so you can go and say a prayer.

Go to Dr Murphy if you’re feeling sick and Doc Bork will fix your teeth real quick.

Joy Payne sells the ladies their dresses and Evie McKenzie curls their tresses

Down on the highway called Old 16, there’s a lot more to be seen.

Fern’s Cafe makes a great hamburger, or maybe dessert is what you’re there fer.

Chocolate cake with lots of frosting. (Writing a poem is so exhausting)

Head to The Pioneer Auto Museum.  Old cars and buildings..Wait til you see em.

4-gEISLER

Together our motels sleep 800. (Just in case you’ve ever wondered).

Super Value and Cafe 16, have goods and food fit for a Queen.

If you’re low on gas, don’t get nervous. All our gas stations are full service.

Dean’s Philip 66 will fix your tires, and Dean’s really good to the guys he hires.

later we got a drive-in and a diner. Their food and milkshakes taste diviner.

Than food you usually get “to go”.Still nothing rhymes with Murdo.

I wouldn’t be in such a frenzy if they would’ve named Murdo..MacKenzie.

***********************************

wp-image-4232747802014134814jpg.jpg

My cousin Valerie Leckey with two friends shortly before she and her parents moved to California. I’m sure many of you recognize the other two cute girls. The photo was taken in 1963.

wp-1485660330099.jpg
Old picture of the Murdo Water Tower

20 thoughts on “Murdo Girl…Murdo memories..new and old

1. scoper07 January 29, 2017 / 8:52 pm

Nice little poem. I wish you could have found some words to rhyme with Murdo. Maybe check with Mrs Peters. She was good with poetry. If you had your wish, we would be calling you MacKenzie Girl.

2. Mary Francis McNinch January 29, 2017 / 9:03 pm

I’ve been trying to get desert changed to dessert and otta to aught to. I thought it was corrected before I posted..I like Murdo Girl better. Hope you had a great week-end 07

• scoper07 January 29, 2017 / 9:13 pm

It cannot be anything but Murdo Girl. That’s the best. Thanks for the post and the pictures. What was the name of the cafe Bernice and Mugs owned? Was it the Murdo Cafe?

3. scoper07 January 29, 2017 / 9:35 pm

Oh that’s right. Mugs and Bernice Williams owned it.

4. lifelessons January 30, 2017 / 11:03 am

I had forgotten Eldon Davis! He was a sweet man. Did he always wear a bib apron? Third row (Sorta rhymes with Murdo.) Her dough, bird flow, nerd flow, furlough.

• Mary Francis McNinch January 30, 2017 / 11:56 am

Eldon and his wife were janitors too. You are so good Judy
      I’m going to add on to the poem! Thanks..Hope your doing well!

• lifelessons January 30, 2017 / 12:01 pm

If you can use those words it will be a miracle. I was being absurd. Didn’t Eldon work at Sanderson’s store for awhile? Perhaps a faulty memory. Me? Nah.

• Mary Francis McNinch January 30, 2017 / 12:49 pm

Eldon did work at the store. I tried to fit the ones I remembered in the poem. You have a good rememberer

• lifelessons January 30, 2017 / 1:29 pm

Actually, I did have a vision of him also being a janitor at the school but thought perhaps I was fabricating that memory. I also remember that long “grabber” on a pole they used to get cans and other products from high shelves. And the big paper box of assorted penny candies. I’d love to see the photo of the the inside of the store enlarged–the one on the insert on the postcard.

• lifelessons January 30, 2017 / 10:32 pm

The postcard of main street with an inset of Sanderson’s store.. or perhaps it was the outside of Sanderson’s store with an inset of the inside.. In the post I commented on.

• Mary Francis McNinch January 31, 2017 / 6:15 am

Judy..that photo shows a PO wagon pulled by a horse. It’s the parade. There is no inset. Do you want me to blow up the horse.🙄

• lifelessons January 31, 2017 / 7:28 am

Oh, no. That would be too unkind!

• lifelessons January 31, 2017 / 10:21 am

I must be dreaming your blogs now. Sure I somewhere saw a pic of Sanderson’s Store with an inset of the inside. Sheesh!!!

5. Patti January 30, 2017 / 6:45 pm

I thought Dominicaks owned the Red Cafe.

• Mary Francis McNinch January 30, 2017 / 7:00 pm

I did too. Do you remember anything about Bernice Williams having a restaurant? I was thinking the same place before or after Dominicaks.

6. Patti January 31, 2017 / 12:04 am

Darned autocorrect! It changed Rex to Red. You have to keep an eagle eye on it all the time.