Murdo Girl…Just call me Florence

Most of you know by now that my husband Kip had some pretty serious back surgery eleven days ago. It has been a tough thing to go through. Four hours of surgery followed by all the aftercare including strenuous physical therapy. It’s enough to make any grown man cry. Any of you who have undergone a similar medical emergency can surely sympathize.

I’m so worn out. Those four hours in a freezing cold waiting room were the worst. The little volunteer got downright irritable when I asked for a 3rd blanket. She only had to walk a little ways to get me coffee. Isn’t that what she’s there for?

01-100_1159
I asked her for a glass of water..she said I suppose you want ice in it.

The days and hours since have been so excruciating, I can barely remember any of it.ย I really hope I will be able to get out of the house some tomorrow. Everybody keeps telling me I must take care of myself. I’m sure I look really haggard. Having to take care of someone that can barely do anything for themselves is a selfless job, and sometimes, you don’t get the sympathy you deserve.

48857166ea2d78359bf0236adc449582
I really feel your pain Liz and Mary. Some days you look in the mirror and say, YIKES!

I don’t mean to be a complainer, I just need a few hundred people to understand what this has been like for me.ย Kip has been home from the hospital, four and a half hours, and he’s only taken one much needed nap. I could have used two.

bacfd3383ed357ea09b52d649d5217ca
We’re the ladies in the Church basement. We cook all the meals for the family when the WOMEN get sick. She lied to us, we caught her getting her nails done.

To top it off, my brother Billy had surgery too! He doesn’t live anywhere near me, but I still had to deal with it. He said a couple of days after surgery, he caught sight of himself in the mirror and thought, “This is me in ten years. At least right now, I’m going to get better.” I wanted to tell him that he wasn’t the only one seeing the future, his wife Liz was looking at him and seeing her future too. You never know how strong you are until you’ve had to go through what Liz and I have.

I put this little piece of equipment together all by myself. So what if the handle is on upside down. It’s not like he’s going to use it forever.

It reminds me of the story about the two elderly men sitting on a park bench when one turns to the other and says, “Otto, I’m 90 years old, and I’m just full of aches and pains. I know you’re about my age. How do you feel?”

Otto says, “I feel just like a newborn baby!”

“Really!? Like a newborn baby!?”

“Yep. No hair, no teeth, and I think I just wet my pants.”

c44db2922127ad1d60ffaa5417571196
We’re here to help. I’m with the Red Cross and the one in white with a platter on her head is a nurse.

15 thoughts on “Murdo Girl…Just call me Florence

1. countrygirl57 June 26, 2016 / 9:22 pm

You nailed it Murdo girl. Loved it. My grind for the night๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป

2. scoper07 June 26, 2016 / 9:32 pm

It is a wonderful thing you are doing Murdo Girl. You can power through it. Luckily this shall pass; look towards the end. It isn’t far off. I am fortunate my back surgery was minor. The doctor did nick my spinal sac and some spinal fluid leaked out. He had to sew it back up. I told him I wasn’t paying for that part. I probably did any way. My doctor was Doogie Houser, I swear. Get some sleep and you’ll bounce right back.

• Mary Francis McNinch June 26, 2016 / 9:44 pm

You crack me up Scoper07! I think I’ll start a support group as soon as I get some of my strength back. Does spinal fluid grow back? Just curious.

3. sanjuan831 June 26, 2016 / 9:52 pm

Okay, Florence! You can do this. What’s that contraption you put together with handles on wrong? A walker? Ken and I cracked up at your joke about the two old guys!

• Mary Francis McNinch June 26, 2016 / 10:17 pm

Your words are always so encouraging cuz. The contraption is to put over the commode. He needs something to hang on to. I fixed it..sort of.

4. Mom Banks aka Carol Callihan Fairbanks June 26, 2016 / 10:12 pm

I hear you! Having been through several major surgeries with my husband, I know how it can be. There have been times I wasn’t sure I could go another day, but somehow found the strength. You will too!

5. Dana Norton June 26, 2016 / 10:26 pm

Most focus on how hard a crisis is on the ‘patient’. I feel your pain and know your exhaustion. Admire how you still have a sense of humor.

6. Bob Haverberg June 26, 2016 / 10:48 pm

Dear M G, Sorry for the delay, but now we can say that Mr John Thune has been fully vetted and will be a rather outstanding VP candidate. The platform will have to be something like “equal height for all” —-or you should refuse to appear side by side until Murdo Girl reaches her inevitable growth spurt. (Not sure he’s old enough to start shrinking yet.) So glad to hear that the two hospital patients are doing OK. We all can tell that you have a stiff upper lip.

• Mary Francis McNinch June 27, 2016 / 6:55 am

I agree with all you have said. I would also like a Murdo Girl sign ouside of town. Right now it just says Murdo. John’s sign can stay up, but mine has to be bigger. When should I announce?

7. sanjuan831 June 26, 2016 / 11:03 pm

Cuz Bob-You should attend the Murdo HS reunion and help get Murdo Girl’s Pres campaign off on the right foot or even the left foot. We would have a blast! July 15-17.

• Mary Francis McNinch June 27, 2016 / 7:01 am

Great idea Val. I had big plans to put a huge banner on the RV, but that went up in smoke. Hey Bob, can you drive a large motor home?

8. Patti June 27, 2016 / 5:42 pm

We have a family story about caregiving. When her sister Peggy broke her hip, Mother went to take care of her. Mother said she had waited on her, cooked, and cleaned for a couple weeks and was exhausted. The final straw was when she brought Peggy her meal on a tray, and Peggy looked at her baked potato and said, ” A little paprika?” We’ve used that line for years.